Learn and Serve Information:
- Summer is a time for fun – but it is also the time when many youth lose what they learned during the school year and gain unhealthy eating habits.
- Our youth are our greatest assets, and ensuring they are on the path to success is our objective
- We are offering a special Service Learning project where teens can have a leadership role in addressing childhood obesity
- Allows teens to give back to community and learn new things at the same time
- Activities include:
- Work with elementary and middle school students in our year round elementary schools and summer camps
- Provide fun summer activities that promote fitness and healthy eating
- Provide families with cooking classes on how to prepare healthy food
- Develop resource materials for students and families about making healthy choices
- Create YouTube videos, a traveling art exhibit, presentations, photo journal your experiences through an online blog
- Learn about the fresh and local food movement by working with growers, distributing food through the Sandhills Farm to Table Coop
- Set up a bicycle powered generator to make Fruit Smoothies
How does it work?
- Each week has a specific theme and service times.
- Can complete 1 week or all of the summer program to receive credit
- In a week, student needs to complete 2 Learning + 1 Service Activity for 5 B= hours total and will receive a $15 gas card
- 5 B= hours in a week is the average time investment
- Further info about national program http://www.servicelearning.org/